Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Writing Tips: Writing Descriptions & Fix Manuscripts


This is my last post for today. Following is some free writing advice regarding fixing your manuscripts and writing descriptions in novels.

wd-logoThe Five Cardinal Sins of Description 
There are two kinds of description that will have your reader waking up his or her spouse to read a line out loud: really good description and really bad. In order to make sure your descriptions fit in the former category rather than the latter, keep an eye out for the following spouse-elbowing sins of descriptive language and do everything in your power to avoid them. - See more at: http://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/there-are-no-rules/the-five-cardinal-sins-of-description#sthash.wZI8v5xo.dpuf
Read more ...



wd-logo7 Ways to Fix a Messy Manuscript 
The first draft of my YA novel BLANK was a complete disaster. I had taken a random approach to writing it, jotting down whatever I could between diaper changes and other distractions. I tried not to concern myself with structure or plot, thinking I would fix all that "later." When "later" became hundreds of pages that somewhat resembled a novel, I knew the task ahead of me was not for the faint-hearted. I experimented with many approaches to get BLANK ready for submission (and eventual publication), and survived, only slightly traumatized, to share these tips for repairing even the most chaotic of first drafts. 
Read more ...

No comments:

Post a Comment